ithaka ephemera collages are handmade using vintage books, maps, scraps, photographs, magazines and other reclaimed paper sources, and placed on items scavenged from thrift shops, office supply clearance tables, and the like. Unduplicated and unduplicat-able, clever and quirky, each stands alone as a small multimedia artwork.
- "Diet" (free-standing 3D sculpture, 4" x 4" x 1”) Made from images taken from a gardening book, animal stickers, an encyclopedia, a calendar of cheeses, a set of vocabulary flash cards, and some sticker meant I think to look like tree bark.
- "Savory Dinner" (Plastic frame can hang or stand, 4" x 4" x 1/2”) Made from images taken from an art book of rotten apples, two different bird books, a grammar, and some origami paper.
- "Que Faire?" (micro-artwork, 1" x 5.8") The collage is built into the back of an old watch; the collage is protected with a clear coat of nail polish. Made from images taken from a psychology textbook; a French-English grammar; some wallpaper for a dollhouse and a bit of sticker from a page of stamps. The translation is on the back: "What is one to do?"
- "Lord Mayor" (black wood frame with easel back, 5-1/8" x 9") Made from images taken from a 1976 "gentlemen's" magazine; paper by a friend who makes it; a Jesus head sticker I got at a thrift shop; mirror panels I got at a craft shop in Salem, Oregon; text from a book of nursery rhymes.
- "Shaved" (free-standing 3D sculpture, 6" x 5" x 1-1/2”) Made from images taken from a book about human physiology; da Vinci sketches; a book about Washington state; a gardener's magazine; and a grammar. The collage is built on a piece of wood that I scavenged from a free pile in front of the art studio at my alma mater, Marylhurst University.
Items in the GWC Gallery are shipped directly from the maker and will not be gift-wrapped, nor include a gift enclosure or the GWC maker stories that accompany gift and subscription boxes elsewhere in this shop. The price includes shipping.
Questions? Contact us!