ithaka ephemera collages are handmade using vintage books, maps, scraps, photographs, magazines and other reclaimed paper sources, and placed on items scavenged from thrift shops, office supply clearance tables, and the like. Unduplicated and unduplicat-able, clever and quirky, each stands alone as a small multimedia artwork.
- "Lord Mayor" (three men in black frame with easel back, 5-1/8" x 9") Made from images taken from a 1976 "gentlemen's" magazine; paper by a friend who makes it; a Jesus head sticker I got at a thrift shop; mirror panels I got at a craft shop in Salem, Oregon; text from a book of nursery rhymes.
- "Puppy" (collaged cover of self-sticking pink paper tablet, 3.5" x 5.5") Composed from a photo from a 1968 "gentlemen's" magazine, a book about dog breeds, scrap from a paper-sample book, and text from a book of household hints.
- "Que Faire?" (micro-artwork, 1" x 5.8") Made from images taken from a psychology textbook; a French-English grammar; some wallpaper for a dollhouse and a bit of sticker from a page of stamps. The translation is on the back: "What is one to do?" The collage is built into the back of an old watch; the collage is protected with a clear coat of nail polish.
- "Classes" (8-1/2" x 7" paper with irregular edges) Made from a 19th century family photo (its imperfections add to the charm), soap labels I got at a recycling store in Portland; a book of quotations, paper sample from the 1960s from my aunt in Wisconsin, an image from an encyclopedia (Volume S). On the back is written in pencil "Hiltsher Family." Can hang using a plastic hanger (attached).
- "Shaved" (free-standing 3D sculpture, 6" x 5" x 1-1/2”) Made from images taken from a book about human physiology; da Vinci sketches; a book about Washington state; a gardener's magazine; and a grammar. The collage is built on a piece of wood that I scavenged from a free pile in front of the art studio at my alma mater, Marylhurst University.
Items in the GWC Gallery are shipped directly from the maker and will not be gift-wrapped, nor include a gift enclosure or the GWC maker stories that accompany gift and subscription boxes elsewhere in this shop. The price includes shipping.
Questions? Contact us!